Our business is growing, and we are looking for several talented and commercially-minded lawyers to join our Real Assets Team in Helsinki. Our cross-border Real Assets Service Concept combines our offerings to the environment & natural resources, infrastructure & energy, projects & construction, and real estate sectors into a coordinated, multi-disciplinary advice to our clients.
What we are looking for in all candidates is a passion for law, strive for premium quality, and attention to detail. Strong interpersonal skills and a genuine interest in business are also essential qualities. Our work requires fluency in English and Finnish, and knowledge of other languages is highly valued. For more detailed descriptions and required qualifications of each vacant position, please see below.
What We Are Looking For
Our Real Estate Team is unrivalled in terms of specialisation and expertise in the Nordic market. The team offers a wide range of real estate services covering, among other things, transactions, fund formation, strategic advice, structuring, planning and zoning, sale-and-leaseback, and construction. In addition, we are an active player in the growing wind power industry.
“Great people, great assignments”, says Tapio Teräkivi, Head of Real Estate.
The Real Estate Team is looking for someone who
- has a genuine interest in real estate and wind power transactions;
- is recently graduated or has a few years’ experience; and
- enjoys working in hectic transactions projects.
Our Projects & Construction Team advises project sponsors, lenders, acquirers, corporates, and contractors on all aspects of project and construction work in the energy and infrastructure sectors, for instance. We advise clients on drafting and reviewing the full spectrum of bankable project documents for wind power and other energy and industrial construction projects and transactions.
We also advise employers, contractors, engineers, and consultants on standalone construction and engineering projects, including turnkey EPC contracts and EPCM agreements in respect of, for instance, power plants and industrial facilities, O&M contracts, and the procurement of large equipment, machinery, and industrial systems. In addition, our team advises clients on standalone commodity supply agreements, including corporate power purchase agreements.
“One of the best parts of our work is witnessing and contributing to the ongoing transformation into more sound ways of producing and using energy and raw materials. The markets and market practices in these sectors are changing, which means that we need to keep up with the change and be constantly innovative in our work”, says Maria Landtman, Head of Projects & Construction.
The Projects & Construction Team is looking for someone who
- has a genuine interest in and is keen to learn more about the energy market, construction business, and understanding the interrelations between the different elements of a successful construction project;
- may already have experience of working with legal questions concerning construction or supply contracts, the electricity market, wind power-related M&A, or project finance from a law firm or an in-house position in a utility or industrial or construction company, for instance; and
- enjoys working with hectic transactions and projects under tight schedules.
Our Environment & Natural Resources Team advises clients on a wide range of environmental law aspects, such as permitting for plants and factories, the use of natural resources, infrastructure projects, and other changes to existing industrial production and processes. We represent our clients before regulatory authorities, municipalities, and courts and proactively monitor the complex and constantly developing environmental rules and regulations.
Additionally, environmental issues and liabilities affecting investments, industry, and infrastructure are becoming increasingly complex, involving several interest groups, such as owners, operators, authorities, and environmental organisations. Our legal expertise coupled with a thorough understanding of our clients’ business enables us to provide advice that is suited to the specific demands of each client.
“Renewable energy, circular economy, and diversity are, just to name a few, examples of current global challenges that have a direct impact on the field of environmental law, and we see a strong growth for services concerning constantly evolving environmental law-related regulation and practices. For us, it is also great to be a part of our clients’ teams and assist them in projects that will result in adopting new and more environmentally sound techniques”, says Klaus Metsä-Simola, Head of Environment & Natural Resources.
The Environment & Natural Resources Team has two vacant positions.
For the first position, we are looking for someone who
- already has experience working as a lawyer — at least three years of relevant experience is required for this position;
- is able to work both independently and as a team member in projects of different levels of extent and complexity; and
- enjoys working with occasionally hectic deadlines typical of M&A transactions and is able to contribute to longer-lasting thorough analysis exercises in litigations and administrative disputes.
For the second position, we are looking for someone who
- has at the least 2–3 years of experience of working with energy regulation from a law firm, the public sector, or an in-house position, for instance;
- has an interest in and ability to translate regulatory requirements and alternatives offered by regulation into concrete advice to be applied in energy and industrial projects;
- has solid drafting skills; and
- enjoys working with occasionally demanding deadlines.
What We Offer
If we feel that you are a good fit for our team, we will offer you
- unique and challenging projects and matters;
- opportunity to work with some of the most interesting legal cases in the Nordic and international markets;
- excellent training and development opportunities;
- experienced coach to provide support throughout your career;
- skill development programmes, personal annual plans, and fringe and other benefits; and
- opportunity to build your career in an inclusive working atmosphere where you get to be part of the team from day one.
Hannes Snellman as an Employer
Hannes Snellman is a top-tier Nordic law firm with 330 outstanding lawyers and other professionals based in Finland and Sweden. We advise leading international and local corporations across all business sectors. In addition to unique assignments, we offer our employees an opportunity to work with sharp-minded professionals in an atmosphere of inclusiveness. Our employees have different backgrounds and personalities, but we all share the same values: a commitment to provide high-quality services and a passion for what we do. We encourage independent thinking and take great pride in the professionalism of our teams and individuals. For more information, please visit our website.
If you feel that you are the right person for one of the positions, please submit your application, CV, and relevant certificates via our website by 22 November 2020 at the latest.
For more information about the positions, please contact Tapio Teräkivi, Real Estate (+358 9 2288 4373), Maria Landtman, Projects & Construction (+359 9 2288 4359), Klaus Metsä-Simola, Environment & Natural Resources (+358 9 2288 4595), or Sini Asikainen, HR (+358 9 228 84329).